One of my favorite characteristics about my body is the condition of my facial skin. My whole life I’ve always gotten so many compliments on my skin and I constantly get asked what my skin care routine is. I was/am always appreciative of the compliments I receive, and to be honest, I think I have to give half of the credit to my smooth skin to genetics.
But, to answer the question at hand, I truly just stick to the basics. Here are the products I use for my nightly facial skincare routine:
1.-3. Clinique’s 3-Step Skincare System: 1. Liquid Facial Soap, 2. Clarifying Lotion and 3. Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion (all in ‘mild.’) – I have used this set since HIGH SCHOOL and have always stuck to it. When it comes to skincare, especially for my face, I refer the motto ‘less is more.’ I also don’t like to use multiple products because I feel like it effects my skin negatively (small breakouts) so I’ve been sticking to what my skin reacts to the best. How I use these products: I use the facial soap daily, pat my skin dry with a soft towel and moisturize with the dramatically different lotion. I use the clarifying lotion every other day by dabbing the solution on a cotton swab and lightly circling my face with it, making sure to cover my T-Zone as well as my chin, sides of my nose and forehead near my hairline. If you want to try this product without fully committing, try small travel versions of the product, or ask for free samples at the Clinique counter at any department store.
4. Clinique Take the Day Off Makeup Remover: This is another product that I have always stuck with. In a pinch, I have used other makeup removers but they never compared to this one. I love this product because it removes ALL my mascara, eyeliner, lipstick and other stubborn makeup staining without causing irritation to my skin or without leaving any makeup behind. How I use this product: I dab some of the solution on a cotton swab or Q-tip and apply to area with makeup.
5. Clarisonic Mia 2: Gotta love my Clarisonic. This tool is so essential. I use it once daily and it really gets into my pores. I usually use the ‘normal’ skin head brush but recently accidentally bought the deep pore cleansing one. I like the deep pore cleansing brush but it’s a little too rough for my skin so next time I have to replace the head, I’ll go back to using ‘normal.’ How I use this product: I usually just use it in my shower but this technique applies wherever you use it- I wet the brush head and apply a pea-sized amount of the Clinique facial soap (you can use whatever skin product you use, and Clarisonic has a facial soap also) and apply to my face. The tool has a timer so I start applying the brush in a small circular motion on my forehead and temple, then move down my T-Zone and chin, then each of my cheeks. After I wash my face, I rinse it with ice cold water.
6. Bioré Deep Cleansing Pore Strips: I love these little guys. My boyfriend loves calling me a nerd when I wear them but after I take them off, my nose is nice, smooth and clear of clogged pores! How I use this product: just as the directions on the box says. After I take them off, I rinse with cold water to close my pores. I only use these about once or twice a week.
7. Water! Drink it. I try to drink a cup of cold water first thing in the morning (or a mug full of warm water with lemon slices,) and drink it throughout the day. Of course, I always finish my day with a glass too. According to Web MD, drinking water helps lock in moisture in your skin, which results in brighter, healthier skin and could possibly reduce your blemishes.
8. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser: I travel a lot back and forth from New York to Iowa because I’m flipping a house. I stay at my mom’s house and Iowa and sometimes just don’t waste space in my suitcase for a bunch of products. Cetaphil is always my back up go-to cleanser just in case I can’t use my usual Clinique, and is always available at most drugstores anywhere. I love Cetaphil’s gentle skin cleanser and it leaves my skin nice and smooth. How I use this product: Lather; wash face; rinse.
9. Burt’s Bees Ultra Conditioning Lip Balm: After I brush my teeth, I always like to add a little chapstick before bed. This one leaves my lips feeling smooth and hydrated all night.
10. Ice Cubes: These ice cubes actually stand for ice cold water. Always rinse with ice cold water after cleansing your face because it will close your pores. (Hot water opens them up, leaving them more susceptible to getting dirt back in.)
What is your favorite skincare product? What is your usual nightly cleansing regimen?